Monday, July 14, 2008
Candied Yams Swamp Style
Yams are another favorite with my bunch. I start with 6 or 8 medium to large red meated sweet potatoes I wash them good and peel them then I lay them on a cutting board and cut them in half. Then I stand them on the cut end and cut them in half again. Then I pick the up and cut the pieces in three quarter inch strips. When there all cut I put a layer in a large iron scillet or other large shallow frying pan. On the first layer of potatoes I put a layer of brown sugar and regular sugar mixed , sprinkle with cinnamin the repeat layers ending with sugar layer On top I slice a stick of butter and put it on a large burner on medium. The liquid will come out of the potatoes an mix with the sugar to make the syrup to the yams. Stir carefully trying not to break the potatoes . They are supposed to be a little tough and slithering in candied syrup. Hope you like them. They are always a favorite at holidays.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh Swamp Woman, Roger loves sweet potatoes. We eat them all year long. You know I will be doing this yummy dish.
Post a Comment