It's been almost four months since Laura left us but some days it feels like yesterday. I do miss her so. Iv'e wanted to get started on my recipe posts but my heart just hasn't been in it. I know that waiting won't make it easier so here it goes. Laura liked everything I cooked.
She would take to-go plated to the Lodge on every holiday and everyone would eat out of them. I'm going to start with a basic southern dish that murdered the first time I cooked it for my new husband 37 years ago. I changed the pot three times before I got one big enough to hold what I had cooked. I do a little better today. I like my grits to be smooth and creamy. I use quick grits because they are not as grainey as stone ground grits. I use 4 cups of water to 1 cup of grits. Bring them to a boil, salt to taste turn on low and cook until smooth and creamy, about 40 mins. There are many variations to this dish. Add cheddar cheese, or evaporated milk and butter, I Have even served them on a fancy buffet for a wedding in a small ramican with chopped boiled shrimp, crisp bacon bits, chopped oinion , red and yellow bell peppers all saute'd before adding. My sister cooks her grits adds two eggs, cheddar cheese and pours into a 9x12 caserole dish and bakes on 350% until set. Really yummy as a side dish for seafood. I hope this save some new bride some embarrassment. I will be putting a new dish on every day if it's the Lord's will. I do want to take this opportunity to thank my familly for all the support they have given me these last months I love them so very much, they are my life.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Glad to have you back!!
All right!! Hope you are feeling better and if you are ready, we are ready!!
I know this is way early to be makin requests but could you give us the recipe to the mac and cheese you made for Mackenzie's b-day party? Sometime, you know when ever, pleaseeeeee. It was so yummy! Love ya.
Great to see you back on line. From your description, grits sound like the sort of food I'd mess up... cooking something on low for 40 minutes is one of those cooking challenges that regularly defeats me.
I've missed your cooking, I'm glad to get some of your great recipes so I can enjoy them up here in OH! I think of Laura every day, and while I rock my babies to sleep, I hum..."Each life that touches ours for good". I look foward to many dishes on my table thanks to you! Miss you guys...love ya!
I love you! I must say that the casserole you made me after I had Reagan was my absolute most FAVORITE EVER~ I think it was enchilada casserole. SO good... I would like to know how to make it... although I am sure that it wont be as good as yours. ANytime you cook & need a visitor give me a call , Im always up for some of your cookin! Love ya!
I am so glad to hear you are back at it. we love uyou and your cooking! I made grits and Baked catfish last Sunday. I love them with butter, salt and pepper best. sometimes a little lemon pepper.
Post a Comment