Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Let's roast that BIRD

I don't cook a turkey that looks like Paula Dean's picture perfect bird. I decided a long time ago that I would rather have a tender juicy turkey with lots of flavor than a brown bird to display on the table that no one really likes. I start with a large turkey (no matter what brand as long as it says young turkey) mine is usually between 26 and 30 pounds. It's always frozen so I get in enough time to let it partially thaw in the fridge for 3 days. I take it out the morning that I'm going to cook it that night and finish thawing in cold water. After thawing I unwrap it take out the neck and bag of giblets and put the in a pot of water (about 2 quarts) with salt and sit it on the stove on low heat with a lid on it for later use. I wash and dry my dear bird and then I massage it with olive oil lavish it with course black pepper and kosher salt. I do this in the sink so that when I put it in the roaster the broth that cooks out won't be too salty. I put it in the roaster breast side down and put the tight lid on it and let it sit out until I'm ready to put it in the oven on 350%. The turkey needs to be at room temp. before cooking. Follow the lable for approximate cooking time according to size but remember to take the lid off and pull at the wing to see if it disconnects from its socket. Then your turkey is done. It needs to sit and cool for an hour or so before carving. I suggest taking all of the dark meat off first and arranging it on your turkey platter and then take one breast at a time on a cutting board and slicing it picture perfect. It should be tender, juicy and full of brothy flavor. Don't forget to save the broth for the stuffing and giblet gravy. Those recipes will post tomorrow. I shelled, blanched and bagged 8 half gallons of butterbeans today to I'm going to call it a night. Amanda, my sweet daught-in-law put that old Thanksgiving picture up for me. She's so good to me, I love her!

6 comments:

UtahGma&Gpa said...

It's good to see you "blogging." It's kind of fun. Thanks for the recipes. Maybe, I'll make a few changes with some of my Thanksgiving dinner. Our prayers are with you, Farrel & your family, every night. I keep looking for something that may help you. Love you guys!!

gigi said...

Breast side down always makes for a juiceier Turkey. I'll rub him down in olive oil next time. :)

Amanda said...

I love you, too.

I had never tasted a turkey that was not dried out until I ate yours. You sure know how to do a turkey up right.

Lori said...

You are making me hungray for Thanksgiving Dinner. Always loved your cooking, so since I can't get it up here in Ohio, I will have to cook it myself, so keep posting those reciepes!!

Sass said...

The new photo header is great. Very inspirational. We rarely cook Turkey... but now we've got a double cooker it could be possible this Christmas. Your post is full of tips that give me confidence it would be a success.

echoeve said...

I just want you to know that it doesn't matter how many of the family secrets you tell I still want you to do it. And that has nothing to do with my laziness. hehe